The top of the mound is almost round, 30-33 m in diameter, with slightly protuberant centre. On the north-western edge of the top, from the side of the eminence that was not used for the mound, there is a half-moon shaped rampart with sinking sides. The steep slopes of the mound reaches up to 15 m. The mound was discovered in 1997 following the information collected by the researcher in regional studies Raimundas Guobis. During the same year, when exploring the mound, archeologist Gintautas Zabiela found grey cultural layer at certain parts of the top of the mound with burnt boulders, and 3 metal articles with the help of metal detector. Judging from the outside and archeological findings, Palatavis mound dates back to the 13-14 century. Based on writen resources, it relates to Mindaugas’ Latava castle where he issued two donation deeds in 1253 and 1260. Since the deed issued in 1253 was for the occasion of coronation, the mound also relates to the place of Mindaugas coronation.